Here’s a route that I cycled last weekend. It’s a big loop south and west of Horsham using some bridleways and country lanes. On the route, you cycle the Downs Link trail to Henfield, along a grassy river bank to Ashurst, and go past Shipley Windmill with a stop at the Blue Ship pub for lunch. Well, that’s what we did anyway!
- Distance: 45 miles (72 km) for the whole trip
- Type of route: Off-road and country lanes. Mountain bikes and hybrid bikes are best.
- Grade: Intermediate but because of the distance, you’ll need to be a regular cyclist.
- Apart from the Blue Ship, other pubs on or near the route include the Countryman Inn, the George and Dragon, the Queen’s Head and the Fountain Inn.
Don’t Get Lost!
I don’t have a .gpx file of the route for you to follow but here’s a quick summary:
- Cycle from Horsham to Partridge Green on the Downs Link.
- Pick up the Downs Link again and cycle to Henfield before coming off the main trail just north of Small Dole.
- Along a grassy river bank and via a farm road brings you out on to the road south of Ashurst.
- Go along Spithandle Lane, then turn right on bridleway, and road to Dial Post [CARE: cross the A24 with caution; it’s busy).
- Pick up bridleway south of Shipley and go directly past Shipley Windmill.
- Cross the A272 at Dragon’s Green and cycle to Barns Green.
- Barns Green to the Blue Ship at The Haven.
- Return to Horsham via the Downs Link near Slinfold and through Broadbridge Heath.
Enjoy the route, it’s a good ‘un!