The other weekend, I cycled a circular route round Horsham. It was a nice mixture of off-road and road riding. Mostly easy bridleways and country lanes. What’s not to like! Here’s a summary of the route:
- Distance: 19.5 miles (31 km) for the whole trip
- Type of route: Off-road and country lanes. Mountain bikes and hybrid bikes are best.
- Grade: Intermediate
- Start and Finish: Near Littlehaven station (but you can start anywhere in Horsham to pick up the route)
- You can easily find the route on this Ordnance Survey Map.
- Pubs near the route include the Greets Inn, the Bax Castle, and the Foresters Arms.
Don’t Get Lost!
A few points about the route (I cycled it anti-clockwise):
- There’s a lovely off-road section west of Warnham. Pick up this bridleway by turning left off Northlands Road. The route takes you past Warnham Manor which is an imposing house.
- Cycle across the A264 at Broadbridge Heath using bridleways.
- Pick up the Downs Link at Christ’s Hospital
- The last quarter of the route is along country lanes from Copsale to Sedgwick and then across the A281 before a short off-road section back into Hampers Lane and Comptons Lane.
This will become one of my regular routes I’m sure. It’s a good mixture of bridleways and country lanes and, at 19.5 miles (31 km), is a reasonable distance but not an all day ride. Perfect for a quick getaway on your bike!