Hampers Lane – Colgate – Wimlands – Littlehaven
- Distance: 12.6 miles or 19 km
- Type of route: Road and off-road. Mountain bike required
- Grade: Intermediate or plucky beginner
- Start and Finish: Junction of Depot Road and Comptons Lane
- Pubs on the route: The Dragon at Colgate
- Map below and on Google Maps
- You can easily find the route on this Ordnance Survey Map.
This is a great cycle ride for those summer evenings when you just want to get out for a short-ish ride after work. It’s a nice mixture of road and off-road that is technically not too difficult (although bridleways can change condition quickly after rain or in the winter). There are a couple of climbs and descents but nothing too serious.
The cycle route (purple line) crosses the A264 in two places and the Horsham-Crawley railway line. Be careful at these crossing points. I’ve indicated on the map where the pub is (yellow marker) and given directions at certain points (green cycle markers). Bridleways are viewable using the satellite view (top right). The route goes in an anti-clockwise direction (starting at Hampers Lane travelling east) but there’s no reason why you cannot do it the other way round. The map is here on Google Maps.
For step-by-step directions, see below.
Have a great ride!
Horsham Cycle Ride Map
View Hampers Lane - Colgate - Wimlands - Littlehaven in a larger map
- With your back to Depot Road, cycle along Hampers Lane, and straight over the crossroads with Smithbarn. The road narrows and goes downhill then slightly uphill.
- After the uphill section, Hampers Lane bends left but you want the bridleway on the right. After a few meters, go through a gate, and continue on the bridleway until you get to Hammerpond Rd. Turn left.
- After a downhill section, go uphill and turn left into Roosthole car park. Take the track on the right, through a narrow gate, before the car parking area.
- Follow the main bridleway/track. It goes uphill and bends sharply left after a short-ish distance. Keep on this bridleway for about a mile (1.6 km) until you get to Forest Rd. Turm right into Colgate.
- Halfway through Colgate village, just after Blackhouse Rd, turn left on the bridleway. It’s easy to miss! Take this track downhill, keep right when the trail branches left, until the A264.
- Walk across the main road, over the central reservation [care!], through a gate and take the grassy bridleway between houses until it reaches a newly built cycle path. Turn left and cross the railway line [care!].
- Continue left on this cycle path, which becomes a narrow road, until you reach the junction with Faygate Lane. Straight ahead on to Wimlands Lane. At the end (less than a mile), turn left down Wimlands Rd. The Frog and Nightgown is after the downhill section on the right. Have a pint.
- After the pub, turn right on the bridleway before the railway line. Continue until you reach Rusper Road. Turn left
- Go straight across the A264 roundabout, then across the next roundabout, past Littlehaven Satation, and back to the start via Redkiln Way.